Tag Archives: history museum

Military-Historical Museum of Artillery, Engineer and Signal Corps in St. Petersburg

Museum of Artillery1

The Military-Historical Museum of Artillery, Engineer and Signal Corps in St. Petersburg is the largest Military Museum in the world. It is also known as the Museum of Artillery, at the same time it is one of the oldest museums of the city. The creation of the museum started at the same time as the building of St. Petersburg.

The Museum was build by the order of Peter 1, as a place where should be saved unique historical examples of weapon and they should be situated in .In the middle of 19th century the military collection moved in the Peter and Paul Fortress (Petropavlovskaya Krepost). Later it became a museum.

Museum of Artillery

Today in the collection of the Museum are situated for more than 500.000 exhibits, among them are: different artillery technics, military form of different ages, military emblems and flags, medals, work of military art, weapon trophies of Russian army,the largest collection of different small-weapon and cold weapon – from iron arquebus and ancient Slavonic swords to the Kalashnikov gun.

In the museum you can also see the main guns of Peter the Great, a front car that moved artillery flags, military awards of Russian Emperors, private gun of Alexander 1 and Nikolay 2, Napoleon Bonapart,marshal Murrey and many other russian and soviet military captains and commanders. In the museum there is a hall of russian rocket technics – starting with technics of 18th century and till the first nuclear rockets.This exhibition is devoted to Kutuzov, consisted of his things that are situated in a rebuilt room, where he spend his last days of life.

Artillery Museum

On the 3d floor of the Museum there are exhibits devoted to the Great Patriotic War. But what mostly attracts visitors’ attention is an outter exposition, that was opened in november 2002 after the reconstruction. On the open squares of the territory are situated 250 items of artillery and rocket weapon, engineer technics and technics of communication. Here are represented as the soviet as the foreign weapons – from the ancient to the modern ones.

As the museum was built in 1703, since that times here you can find here the greatest collection – Russian weapons and weapon of many other countries, including experimental examples and private weapon of famous people, uniform, awards, examples of sculpture and oil paintings, models of fortresses, documents and many other. The museum is situated on the territory of Petropavlovskaya Krepost. The inner buildings are decorated in gothic style and the inner court is railed by a brick wall. The main and nearest attracts are Petropavlovskaya Krepost, Alexandrovskiy Park, Leninskiy zoo, the Winter Palace and House of Peter the Great.

Historical Museum

Nowadays the Artillery Museum has unique collections of weapons; in its fonds are gathered more than 700.000 items, 215.000 of archives, 100.000 books of military and historical literature, 90.000 of photographic negatives and slides.

Since 1918 the Museum keeps more than 27 regimental sections of Russian Army. The exposition is situated in 13 halls and on the territory of more than 17.000 square kilometers, here are represented the examples of middleaged and modern weapons, rocket systems that are situated on the outter exposition.

During 2002 year in the Museum is opened the exposition “Weapon legends of 20th century”. Here are represented examples of weapon of the legendary constructors, such as, Brawning, Mauzer, Nagan, Kalashnikov and many others. The unique collection allows to follow the development of weapon during 20th century – from guns and rifles of World War First to the modern examples of individual and group small-weapon.

The Military-Historical Museum of Artillery

In the Museum are gathered the best collections from Russia and 54 countries of the world, you will be definitely impressed by such a variety. The Military-Historical Museum of Artillery, Engineer and Signal Corps in St.Petersburgh is a precious place to visit, it will be interesting for people from all over the world. Here you can learn about the historical and cultural life of Russia, France, Great Britain, Denmark, Sweden and many other outstanding countries.

Visiting of the oldest Russian Museum will give you not only pleasure, but an opportunity to learn more about age-old military history of Russia and many other countries.

Cruiser Aurora

Cruiser Aurora1

Cruiser Aurora – is a cruiser that was well-known by its important role in Glorious October Socialist Revolution, it was built by a shipbuilding programm in 1895.And in the 1897 it appeared in St.Petersburg, at the same time three ships “Diana”, “Pallada” and “Aurora”. So Aurora got its name on honour of destroyer leader who was fighting in Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskiy.

Cruiser Aurora

Actually this type of cruisers was made for the role of fighting and exploring. However, the cruiser’s possibilities were not enough for far distance, low speed, and poor military hardware.

So that is why the cruiser was called to become an educational cruiser. The team of the cruiser consistef of 600 people and its shell was protected with copper.

Cruiser Aurora3

The first war events where Cruiser Aurora took place were Russo-Japanese war, next was Zusimskiy fighting, Glorious October Socialist Revolution. After  Glorious October Socialist Revolution Cruiser Aurora was left its native name, as it supposed to be the only Emperor ship. But later the cruiser became again educational, some time after, the cruiser participated in Civil War that lasted not for a long time. But after this, Cruiser Aurora took part in the Great Patriotic war and protected Leningrad. But in 1941 after some damages it was repaired, but while this time Cruiser didnt lower the flag.

Cruiser Aurora4

So even before the war was over, it was a desicion to rebuilt the ship as a monument of an active participant in the Revolution of 1917. “Aurora” was taken for rebuilding in 1944 and after the whole repairing started to look the same as in 1917. Though it took for 3 years. As a result the ship became an educational place for the students of  Nahimovskiy college. Where future officers got their first service on the ship.

Cruiser Aurora2

And though while Soviet Goverment Aurora became an educational, it was considered to be a great symbol of revolution. While repairing Aurora was screened in a movie even.The Museum was created since 1950 by the common forces of enthusiasts and veterans. In 1956 it was decided to give the ship status of the Central Military Navy Museum.Since 1961 Aurora stoped to be an educational ship, it became a museum.

Cruiser Aurora5

In 1980 the ship was required to be repaired again. In Aurora were made restored works, and after this the whole design of the ship inside has changed. So there is a museum on the deck, there is a section of museum workers, a kitchen, a living block for officers, a companion cabin and a captain saloon. So everything inside is equiped with the rules as being on a Military Sea Navy.

Before pipes of air inlets partially latent spare blade of the screw is visible (????? ??????? ????????????????? ????? ???????? ??????? ???????? ??????? ?????)

So nowadays for 50 years Cruisere Aurora is situated near the front sea of St.Petersburgh. The appearance of the ship is very common already. And everybody knows that Cruiser Aurora is a monument to the Soviet Shipbuilding, though thу ship met a lot of events during its way in the history of 20th century.

Cruiser Aurora8

It is a defender of Russia in three wars, a participant in the events of February Revolution,  in october of 1917, it is a place of training many navy officers, that even later it became a Museum. And it still has saved the status of the number 1 ship of Russian Military Navy.

Cruiser Aurora7

So Cruiser Aurora has a legendary and unforgettable past, and even nowadays Aurora attracts millions of people all over the world.

The exposition at Aurora has 6 buildings, where are situated almost 1.000 of different exhibits. Among them are paintings and water-color works, flags and symbols of the ship, true historical documents, connected with cruiser, many pictures of sailors who worked on this ship, medals and awards, collections of coins with the ship, models of russian military navy, and also presents from the goverment, military men and different organizations from all over the world.

Pavlovsk

Pavlovsk

Pavlovsk city is the nearest city to the Puskin city (Tsarskoye Selo). Pavlovsk is situated from 26 kilometers to the south of St.Petersburg. The history of Pavlovsk started on 12 december of 1777, when Catherine 2 gave the land as a gift to her son Pavel and his wife Maria to the birth of their first child – Alexander 1.

Pavlovsk city 2

The city was called “Pavlovskoye selo” and in 1779 two wood Palaces were built here: “Pavlova uteha” and “Dolina Marii”. In 1780 Charles Cameron was invited in Pavlovsk to help with architecture, he was the student of the famous Italian architecture Antonio Palladi. With Cameron the building in Pavlovsk changed greatly.

Pavlovsk city

In 1782 the building of Pavlovskiy Palace started, it was built during 4 years and at once Cameron worked at the creation of parks. In 1795 was ruined a Mariental Palace, at his place was built a fortress Mariental by Brenna in 1797.Pavel who prefered Gatchina more, gave Pavlovskoye Selo to his wife and a week later gave an order to change the name and named it Pavlovsk. After the death of Pavel 1 Pavlovsk became a summer residence of the Empress.

The-Pavlovsk-Palace

After the revolution the Palace and the park of Pavlovsk became a Museum. In 1918 Pavlovsk got a name Sluzk, in honour of Vera Sluzkaya.The main place in the mark takes Pavlovskiy Palace that is built at the bank of the river Slavyanka. Pavlovskiy Palace can be observed even from the most far away places of the park. Cameron chose a type of popular and well spread itallian villa with a large dome.

Pavlovsk city 1

The general scheme of the building looks like a Russian villa: cononnades lead to the very centre of the building, the entrance hall of Pavlovskiy Palace is decorated with Egyptian statues. The main hall of the Palace was surrounded with galleries and annexes. The Palace has a project that look like a horseshoe.In the middle of the entrance hall of the garden in 1872 was located a monument to Pavel 1. This look remains the square in front of Versailles with the monument to Ludovik.

Pavlovsk city 4

The main place among the interior of the palace take Italian and Greek halls. There are Italian sculptures in the Italian hall. A Greek hall got its name of its decoration in an ancient style; there are columns, statues, lamps and many other beautiful items.

In a painting gallery gathered all the best works of the oil painters on 18th century. A huge hall impresses with its sizes, its territory is 400 square kilometers. At first it was planned to become a front dining-room, but later there was installed Emperor’s throne, that is why the hall got the second name – Throne. The hall is decorated with frescoes that make the hall look even bigger and taller.

Pavlovsk city 3

In 1837 between Pavlovsk and St.Petersburg was opened the first railway in Russia. In 1918 Pavlovsk became Sluzk, though during the revolution and the Civil war the Palace in Sluzk suffered lesser than any other Russian Residences in the surburbs of St.Petersburg. In 1918 there was opened a museum, during 1920-1930 the Palace was ruined and lots of famous works of art and paitings were sold abroad.In 1926-1930 the Palace was closed and became a large storehouse.

In 1930 Sluzk entered Leningrad region, and in 1936 it became an administrative center of Sluzk region of the Leningrad area, there were added 13 local councils. In 1941 during the Great Patriotic war the most part of museum collections in Pavlovsk was closed and hidden. The Palace and the park suffered a lot during the invasion of fascist army.

Pavlovsk city 5

After the release of the city in 1944-1978, reconstructive works started in the city. In 1957 were opened the first halls of a new Palace. In January 1944, according to historical events Sluzk became Pavlovsk again and Sluzk region became Pavloskiy region.

Nowadays Pavlovsk – is an administrative region of St.Petersburg, where are two libraries, medical buildings, several schools and hostels, retirement homes, center of rest and enternaiment.

In general recontrructive works in this city lasted for 30 years and nowadays Pavlovsk protected by UNESCO.

Many famous russian poets and writers praised Pavlovsk in their works, among them Zukovskiy, Ahmatova and Dostoevskiy. There were even several movies screened in Pavlovsk.