Pavlovsk

Pavlovsk

Pavlovsk city is the nearest city to the Puskin city (Tsarskoye Selo). Pavlovsk is situated from 26 kilometers to the south of St.Petersburg. The history of Pavlovsk started on 12 december of 1777, when Catherine 2 gave the land as a gift to her son Pavel and his wife Maria to the birth of their first child – Alexander 1.

Pavlovsk city 2

The city was called “Pavlovskoye selo” and in 1779 two wood Palaces were built here: “Pavlova uteha” and “Dolina Marii”. In 1780 Charles Cameron was invited in Pavlovsk to help with architecture, he was the student of the famous Italian architecture Antonio Palladi. With Cameron the building in Pavlovsk changed greatly.

Pavlovsk city

In 1782 the building of Pavlovskiy Palace started, it was built during 4 years and at once Cameron worked at the creation of parks. In 1795 was ruined a Mariental Palace, at his place was built a fortress Mariental by Brenna in 1797.Pavel who prefered Gatchina more, gave Pavlovskoye Selo to his wife and a week later gave an order to change the name and named it Pavlovsk. After the death of Pavel 1 Pavlovsk became a summer residence of the Empress.

The-Pavlovsk-Palace

After the revolution the Palace and the park of Pavlovsk became a Museum. In 1918 Pavlovsk got a name Sluzk, in honour of Vera Sluzkaya.The main place in the mark takes Pavlovskiy Palace that is built at the bank of the river Slavyanka. Pavlovskiy Palace can be observed even from the most far away places of the park. Cameron chose a type of popular and well spread itallian villa with a large dome.

Pavlovsk city 1

The general scheme of the building looks like a Russian villa: cononnades lead to the very centre of the building, the entrance hall of Pavlovskiy Palace is decorated with Egyptian statues. The main hall of the Palace was surrounded with galleries and annexes. The Palace has a project that look like a horseshoe.In the middle of the entrance hall of the garden in 1872 was located a monument to Pavel 1. This look remains the square in front of Versailles with the monument to Ludovik.

Pavlovsk city 4

The main place among the interior of the palace take Italian and Greek halls. There are Italian sculptures in the Italian hall. A Greek hall got its name of its decoration in an ancient style; there are columns, statues, lamps and many other beautiful items.

In a painting gallery gathered all the best works of the oil painters on 18th century. A huge hall impresses with its sizes, its territory is 400 square kilometers. At first it was planned to become a front dining-room, but later there was installed Emperor’s throne, that is why the hall got the second name – Throne. The hall is decorated with frescoes that make the hall look even bigger and taller.

Pavlovsk city 3

In 1837 between Pavlovsk and St.Petersburg was opened the first railway in Russia. In 1918 Pavlovsk became Sluzk, though during the revolution and the Civil war the Palace in Sluzk suffered lesser than any other Russian Residences in the surburbs of St.Petersburg. In 1918 there was opened a museum, during 1920-1930 the Palace was ruined and lots of famous works of art and paitings were sold abroad.In 1926-1930 the Palace was closed and became a large storehouse.

In 1930 Sluzk entered Leningrad region, and in 1936 it became an administrative center of Sluzk region of the Leningrad area, there were added 13 local councils. In 1941 during the Great Patriotic war the most part of museum collections in Pavlovsk was closed and hidden. The Palace and the park suffered a lot during the invasion of fascist army.

Pavlovsk city 5

After the release of the city in 1944-1978, reconstructive works started in the city. In 1957 were opened the first halls of a new Palace. In January 1944, according to historical events Sluzk became Pavlovsk again and Sluzk region became Pavloskiy region.

Nowadays Pavlovsk – is an administrative region of St.Petersburg, where are two libraries, medical buildings, several schools and hostels, retirement homes, center of rest and enternaiment.

In general recontrructive works in this city lasted for 30 years and nowadays Pavlovsk protected by UNESCO.

Many famous russian poets and writers praised Pavlovsk in their works, among them Zukovskiy, Ahmatova and Dostoevskiy. There were even several movies screened in Pavlovsk.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *