Category Archives: Parks

Pushkin (Tsarskoye Selo)

Pushkin (Tsarskoye Selo)

Pushkin (Tsarskoye Selo) – is an outstanding example of world architecture and art. The best sculptors and painters of 18-20 century impersonated wishes and ideas of the Russian Emperors.

The history of Tsarskoye Selo is connected with goverment of three women: Catherine 1, Elizabeth Petrovna, and Catherine 2. The main building here is a Large Catherine Palace, which is located on the hill.

Tsarskoye Selo

It was built in the presence of Catherine 1, but Elizabeth Petrovna considered it to be uncomfortable and small. She invited a famous Rastrelli and till nowadays we can still observe his work.Catherine 2 also made a contribution to Tsarskoye Selo, she built an Alexander or so called New Tsarskoselskiy Palace. The new Palace was made as gift to her favourite grandson Alexander 1 on the day of his marriage. Both Palaces are surrounded by beautiful parks.

(Tsarskoye Selo)

The Catherine Palace that was built by Rastrelli was made in a barocco style. The Palace impresses with its luxury of halls among which is situated a famous “Amber Room”. The Alexander Palace was made in a classicism style, rooms where lived the Emperor Nikolay 2 and his wife Alexandra Fedorovna are decorated in a modern style.

Tsarskoye Selo)

Parks are also an essential part of Tsarskoye Selo Museum. In Pushkin parks there are more than 100 architectural buildings – palaces, pavillions, bridges, marble monuments, and emlements of gothic, Turkish, Chinese architecture.

(Tsarskoye Selo)1

The territory where is situated  Tsarskoye   Selo was a part of an ancient russian country named “Izhorskaya Zemlia Gospodina Velikogo Novgoroda ”, but in 17th century it was occupied with swedens and given back to Peter 1.The name Tsarskoye Selo came from Sweden.

In 1710 -1720 a new country residence was built. During 18th and 19th century and even beginning of 20th century Tsarskoye Selo was considered a front summer Emperor Residence. In 1813-1843 here was Tsarskoselskiy Lyceum, where Pushkin was educated.

Catherine Palace

In Soviet time Tsarskoye Selo was restructured into a Museum.The other buildings became educational and medical buildings, that is why in 1918 the city was renamed in Detskoye Selo. In 1937 there was an anniversary of Pushkin and to his 100 birthday the city was named Puskin.

During the Great Patriotic war the city was occupied for more than 2 years.

Pushkin4

In 1942 the covering of the famous “Amber Room” was taken away, till nowadays it is still absent. After the war the surroundings,the city, Palaces, parks were rebuilt and in 1980 it was decided to reconstruct this room. During next 20 years instaurators tried to reproduce this work of art, and to the St.Petersburg anniversary of 300 years this room was represented and opened for visitors.

Pushkin 3

Day by day park returned their previous look, the palaces were also reconstructed. The works of the Catherine Palace’reconstruction continue still. The Alexandrov Palace was given to the military navy army and not long ago there became a museum that is visited by thousands of people every day.

Tsarskoselskiy lyceum is also an interesting place to visit, it was built by Alexander 1 for children from noble family lines, so there were educated many famous people to us nowadays, for example writers and scientists, goverment and administrative leaders, outstanding people of Russia: Alexander Gorchakov, admiral Fedor Matushin, Ivan Puszhin and Wilgelm Kuhelbeker, a poet Anton Delvig and many others.

Pushkin 2

But the fame to the lyceum brought Alexander Pushkin, an outstanding and great poet and writer. He studied here in 1811-1817. At the exposition of the museum you can see his student room. Around the Palaces of Tsarskoye Selo there are splendid parks: Catherine, Lower, Alexandrov, Babolovskiy, Buferniy.

Pushkin 1

Actually nowadays Tsarskoye Selo is always busy with many thousands of tourists from all over the country and from abroad. That is why on weekends the quantity of the tourists raises up and it is recommended to visit the place in week day.

Pushkin 5

Many people from Germany will be also impressed to know many historical facts about the events and history connected with this place.

So Pushkin city or Tsarskoye Selo is a famous national park, which includes beautiful palaces, parks and many other interestings places you would enjoy.

Pavlovsk

Pavlovsk

Pavlovsk city is the nearest city to the Puskin city (Tsarskoye Selo). Pavlovsk is situated from 26 kilometers to the south of St.Petersburg. The history of Pavlovsk started on 12 december of 1777, when Catherine 2 gave the land as a gift to her son Pavel and his wife Maria to the birth of their first child – Alexander 1.

Pavlovsk city 2

The city was called “Pavlovskoye selo” and in 1779 two wood Palaces were built here: “Pavlova uteha” and “Dolina Marii”. In 1780 Charles Cameron was invited in Pavlovsk to help with architecture, he was the student of the famous Italian architecture Antonio Palladi. With Cameron the building in Pavlovsk changed greatly.

Pavlovsk city

In 1782 the building of Pavlovskiy Palace started, it was built during 4 years and at once Cameron worked at the creation of parks. In 1795 was ruined a Mariental Palace, at his place was built a fortress Mariental by Brenna in 1797.Pavel who prefered Gatchina more, gave Pavlovskoye Selo to his wife and a week later gave an order to change the name and named it Pavlovsk. After the death of Pavel 1 Pavlovsk became a summer residence of the Empress.

The-Pavlovsk-Palace

After the revolution the Palace and the park of Pavlovsk became a Museum. In 1918 Pavlovsk got a name Sluzk, in honour of Vera Sluzkaya.The main place in the mark takes Pavlovskiy Palace that is built at the bank of the river Slavyanka. Pavlovskiy Palace can be observed even from the most far away places of the park. Cameron chose a type of popular and well spread itallian villa with a large dome.

Pavlovsk city 1

The general scheme of the building looks like a Russian villa: cononnades lead to the very centre of the building, the entrance hall of Pavlovskiy Palace is decorated with Egyptian statues. The main hall of the Palace was surrounded with galleries and annexes. The Palace has a project that look like a horseshoe.In the middle of the entrance hall of the garden in 1872 was located a monument to Pavel 1. This look remains the square in front of Versailles with the monument to Ludovik.

Pavlovsk city 4

The main place among the interior of the palace take Italian and Greek halls. There are Italian sculptures in the Italian hall. A Greek hall got its name of its decoration in an ancient style; there are columns, statues, lamps and many other beautiful items.

In a painting gallery gathered all the best works of the oil painters on 18th century. A huge hall impresses with its sizes, its territory is 400 square kilometers. At first it was planned to become a front dining-room, but later there was installed Emperor’s throne, that is why the hall got the second name – Throne. The hall is decorated with frescoes that make the hall look even bigger and taller.

Pavlovsk city 3

In 1837 between Pavlovsk and St.Petersburg was opened the first railway in Russia. In 1918 Pavlovsk became Sluzk, though during the revolution and the Civil war the Palace in Sluzk suffered lesser than any other Russian Residences in the surburbs of St.Petersburg. In 1918 there was opened a museum, during 1920-1930 the Palace was ruined and lots of famous works of art and paitings were sold abroad.In 1926-1930 the Palace was closed and became a large storehouse.

In 1930 Sluzk entered Leningrad region, and in 1936 it became an administrative center of Sluzk region of the Leningrad area, there were added 13 local councils. In 1941 during the Great Patriotic war the most part of museum collections in Pavlovsk was closed and hidden. The Palace and the park suffered a lot during the invasion of fascist army.

Pavlovsk city 5

After the release of the city in 1944-1978, reconstructive works started in the city. In 1957 were opened the first halls of a new Palace. In January 1944, according to historical events Sluzk became Pavlovsk again and Sluzk region became Pavloskiy region.

Nowadays Pavlovsk – is an administrative region of St.Petersburg, where are two libraries, medical buildings, several schools and hostels, retirement homes, center of rest and enternaiment.

In general recontrructive works in this city lasted for 30 years and nowadays Pavlovsk protected by UNESCO.

Many famous russian poets and writers praised Pavlovsk in their works, among them Zukovskiy, Ahmatova and Dostoevskiy. There were even several movies screened in Pavlovsk.