Tauride Garden

Tauride Garden

The Tauride Garden came into existence along with the Tauride Palace, which was built in 1783-1789. This architectural complex became a memorial in honor of Russia’s victories in various wars at the end of the 18th century.

The garden was planned and designed by an English gardener William Gould. In place of Samoroyka River builders dug two ponds that were connected by canals with each other. The ponds were filled with water from the Ligovskiy Channel and fish.

Neva River

In the South part of the big pond two islands were created and one of them was planted with trees. In the North a high hill was built with ground that was left after the digging. The islands were connected by two bridges, one of which was made by Ivan Kulibin. He designed this bridge earlier for Neva River but it wasn’t mounted then, so Kulibin used the same construction but ten times smaller for the garden (in 1816 it was dismantled in order to free a way for water transport).

Tauride Palace

At the second half of the 19th century the Tauride Garden was opened for public. A little bit later during winters a skating-rink and slides were frequently visited by citizens. At the time of the Second World War plenty of bombs were dropped on the streets of St. Petersburg, the Tauride Garden couldn’t escape. Right after the siege kitchen gardens of children’s hospitals were placed on the territory of the park. Not long after reconstruction works were started under the guidance of Russian architect D. Goldgor. The process was finished in 1958. Since 1960s the garden was actively used as a place for organization of children’s leisure, therefore lots of sports classes, various clubs were organized. So, later the park needed the second reconstruction which occurred at the end of the 20th century and lasted 4 years until 2001.

Nowadays Tauride Garden is a historical monument that attracts lots of people every day by its beauty.

Michael Garden

 

Michael Garden

The Michael Garden is one of the most beautiful parks of St. Petersburg which occupies almost a hundred square meters of land. It’s always calm and quiet in spite of the fact that the garden is rather close to one of the main arteries of the city Nevskiy Avenue and also there is another thoroughfare Sadovaya Street. The secret is in location of the park. It is segregated from noisy streets by the Russian Museum, the largest museum of Russian art in the World.

mikhailovsky-gardens

The Michael garden arose at the same time with the Summer Garden and in the beginning of the 17th century people called it the 3rd summer garden. In place of current Rossi’s Pavilion there was not great Ekaterininskiy Palace, the building with a golden spire on the top. In some historical document this building is written as “Zolotyie Horomy” (Golden Mansion). The Palace itself was luxurious but a layout of the garden was rather simple and was similar to Moscow’s estates of the 17th century that distinguished with its gardens. Apple and other fruit trees were planted; greenhouses, stables, warehouses and many other buildings were built. A big fountain which was placed in front of the main facade was decorated with gold-filled bas-relief, vases and marble statues.

The Michael Garden 1

Dominant figure in the whole architectural complex is the Michael Palace, one of the best creations of the architect. The main facade has a colonnade which rises up to the second floor. 12-column loggia is crowned with an attic which includes a sculptural group. Architects declined the idea of straight paths and made them meandering, instead of balanced ponds they create ponds with natural coasts, as a result the garden looked like a landscape.

At the present, the Michael garden changed its meaning completely. Originally it was planned to be a residence of the Emperor but now it is a rest place for people and a memorial of landscape architecture